Insozz
@

Was planning on getting some tattoos in the near future, but I am nervous about not being able to get a job later on in life because of them. (What a sad society we live in, where people are judged by such trivial things as tattoos) But, anyway. Where are some places I should not get them? I would guess wrists/hand or above the neck as they are the really visible ones if I’m wearing a suit type thing. But any help would be nice.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Well, first of all, people will judge you about all kinds of stuff, black/white, short/tall, fat/skinny, old/young and many many more things. It is really sad and pretty lame but you are smart to understand and accept that even if it doesn’t make sense or is unfair.

Like you said, I would avoid the neck and above, and the elbows and below and possibly knee to ankle. There is some wiggle room in here… I have a corporate sales job when I have a long sleeve collared shirt on every day. I could wear a golf shirt if I wanted but I “overdress” to cover my sleeve. If you sell it as “I want to do better than the dress code” you will not only look really good to your superiors but you can also open up your options a bit.

Just my .02!

dag24y
Participant
@dag24y

I think is also depends a lot on your personal level of tolerance. I have two tattoos that are below the elbow. I am also, for whatever reason, always way colder than everyone else in the room. I mean, every once in a while I get warm, but for the most part having long sleeves doesn’t bother me at all. Usually when I’m inside, unless there’s literally no AC WHAT SO EVER and it’s 100 degrees outside, I have long sleeves on and I’m cold.

So the thought of wearing long sleeves in an office for the rest of my life really doesn’t bother me that much. I know other people who sweat profusely and want to cry at the very idea of that.

But, givens would be no neck, or hands, and to be careful at the wrists so that it can be covered with a shirt. Look at what you are most comfortable wearing at work, and work around that, unless you think you are able to change your attire and still be reasonably comfortable, is my best advice.

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

I have tattoos on my hands, feet, legs, arms, chest and back. I work one job with senior citizens and another job with children. I cover up the vulgar tattoos for the children and the seniors love looking at my tattoos.

Like said above, you’re being judged all the time with or without tattoos. There’s just a stigma with tatts that many conservatives have and you can’t fight it. They also can’t stand it that you wear your hair long or too short or your shirt baggy or tight blah blah blah…..can’t please the world.

Do what I did and create your own jobs and you’ll love going to work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.