oddnumber
Participant
@oddnumber

Hullo all, I have a bit of a question that I was hoping I could get some ideas on if at all possible.

I have a tribal(ish) half sleeve on my upper arm, which isn’t too bad at all – it has been softened by adding shadows into the skin areas to give it less of a harsh feel. I also have (my most recent addition) a very nice sugar skull piece on the lower area of the same arm. Ideally, I would like to bridge the two areas together.

47694_429343091262_700346262_5522618_1811864_n.jpg

Is mixing two different styles a big no no? If I had my time again I might not get the tribal, but you live and learn. No point crying over spilt milk really! What mechanism, if any, could be used to blend the two, or would something completely different be worth considering? I’ve been looking at a Pentagram, maybe emerging from behind the uppermost skull.

I know tribal isn’t the most well received style on this forum so I’m expecting some negativity!

Many thanks for any help or ideas though 🙂

cruciaL
Participant
@crucial

now to start off, i am not a fan of tribals.
but i think the two do look pretty good together.

when it comes to your ink and your body, there’s no such thing as a big nono.
it’s up to you when it comes to your ink.

i think you should use the designs within your sugar skulls and use that to connect the two.
or leave it as is cos i think it looks fine haha

oddnumber
Participant
@oddnumber

Thank you cruciaL 🙂

As I mentioned, given my time again I wouldn’t opt for it. I did tend to rush into things a bit, and have had to make the most of a rushed decision! The work on my forearm is somewhat stronger – the sugar skulls piece, flames and checkered flags on the inside, so I’m not too worried. A t-shirt covers the majority of the tribal anyhow (its fairly big :o).

I do quite like the idea of adding another element to sleeve things off. I’m guessing it may take more attention away from the tribal too.

Dice
Participant
@dice

It’s cool.

Tribal or what ever

good job, the skulls can do some work.

oddnumber
Participant
@oddnumber
Dice;74238 wrote:
It’s cool.

Tribal or what ever

good job, the skulls can do some work.

Thank you Dice, its much appreciated! If I showed ALL of the tribal though you may have a different opinion 😀

Sugar skulls are cool – they can look bright and happy or dark and menacing. I love them.

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Awsome ink man. I won’t add a thing. They work very good together. If anything you could just extend the tribal down a bit to make it look like a continuous piece.

oddnumber
Participant
@oddnumber

Thank you very much for the compliment! I was, in all honesty, expecting to get something of a hard time about the tribal, with it being a bit out of favour – so I’m quite pleased with the feedback so far. I do tend to think that sometimes the person moulds the feel of the tattoo, not necessarily the other way around. If you see what I mean!

wickedjr89
Participant
@wickedjr89

While i’m not a big fan of tribal either I don’t hate it either. There is no such thing as a big no no with tats because all that I think matters is that the person with the tattoo is happy with it themselves. I also think they look good together if you want to make it into a sleeve type deal you could just extend the tribal down a bit like topdog said. Whatever you choose to do good luck!

oddnumber
Participant
@oddnumber

I’ve been doodling a bit, and had the idea of adding whatever symbol I choose – pentagram for example – and carrying on the shadowy flame type background up, into and behind the tribal to make it more cohesive.

Would that, in your opinion, make the tribal too messy?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.