Shuketi
    Participant
    @shuketi

I know some people don’t like tribal as much but I’ve tried it anyways. Not sure I’m any good at it, but it’d be great to get some feedback~
    My lines are a bit messy, but these are just rough, quick, practices.
    Anyways- here you go.

(This is finished, that extra line is just where my friends boob would be. She wanted it there, sooo…)

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Pics are broken for me….

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Now they work, thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

I am one of those people that really hate tribal but as far as tribal goes looks pretty ok to me!

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

1x10boxinggloves.jpg
    I’d make them thinner, so It would be easier to cover it up when that day comes.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Not for me. Not that I’m any can-a-sewer.

Shuketi
    Participant
    @shuketi

@BertNaked 120952 wrote:

1x10boxinggloves.jpg
    I’d make them thinner, so It would be easier to cover it up when that day comes.

Are you indirectly saying they suck? :/

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

@Shuketi 120962 wrote:

Are you indirectly saying they suck? :/

Even a very well done tribal is really shit :/

maniacthw
    Participant
    @maniacthw

I’ll be the one to say it: The lines need a LOT of work. Also, I noticed a few areas that are missing some shading.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

I vote for “they suck”
    Im not sure what the intended purpose for sharing such things is. Are you just screwing around or what?
    If its just for fun i say keep it up. The lines are terrible. Everything needs to be smooth and flowing.
    Practice.

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

In all three of the sketches: you should try keep stuff in somewhat the same size, to keep the flow.

Shuketi
    Participant
    @shuketi

Well, thanks for the feedback. Considering I’m only 17, just starting out with this stuff, I’ll go back and rework them.
    I was really just looking for some advice, not insults. Jeez..
    Next time I post something while looking for some help, I’ll make sure it’s utterly perfect. Cuz apparently beginners get the shit kicked out of them.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Shuketi 121007 wrote:

Well, thanks for the feedback. Considering I’m only 17, just starting out with this stuff, I’ll go back and rework them.
    I was really just looking for some advice, not insults. Jeez..
    Next time I post something while looking for some help, I’ll make sure it’s utterly perfect. Cuz apparently beginners get the shit kicked out of them.

Shuketi,
    I joined in September. I was proud as a dog with three dicks of my lizard tattoos. The people (well most of them are) here were brutally honest with me. It was so bad that I ended up with a quality, award (for skulls) winning artist. (I’m 56 years old and I was every bit the beginner you are) Cheer up. You’ll be kicking a little shit yourself before you know it.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Well Shuketi, welcome to the world of tattoos. Opinions are like assholes in the way that everybody has one, and in here you have assholes with opinions which makes it doubly smelly.

Here, there be monsters.

If you like to draw tribal, then go right ahead and draw tribal, but you will honestly not find much love for tribal in a tattoo collectors’ community like ours. Tribal tattoos are “out of fashion” as far as that can be said about tattoos, and we are (most of us) very much tired of seeing prime canvas space wasted on poor designs and worse workmanship (which seems to most often follow said poor designs). You should expect to see more of these views in the future, but never let it stop you from doing whatever you like.

Your work needs a lot of work, as has been stated already. If tribal is to look good, it needs to be extremely sharp. The lines need to be perfect, the forms properly concentric / parallel / offset, the flow organic and smooth, and the filling 100% even.

Looking at your first link, the circles are rough, but you’ve got a good size ratio going between them. The line next to the circles tapers rather nicely at the top, but then the taper back down to the bottom is uneven and in one place it stays at the same width for too long. The teeth on the squiggly bit look like the teeth of a saw-blade, with a very sharp and distracting edge / change of direction from the swirl. It’s just not flowing well enough.

The second link again doesn’t flow well enough, and you’ve brought the white lines down too thin. Even on your paper you can see the black has bled a bit and almost filled the space between, and it would be even worse after a couple of years on skin. The thick middle-bit is distracting because it is so much thicker than anything else in there.

The third link is actually a pretty interesting concept, but like the others it could do with a bit more flow and more equal widths / ratios between things.

I don’t know what you’re using to draw these, but you need to do a lot of practicing of drawing very fine and very even lines. I would recommend putting the ink to rest and start using rather hard and sharp pencils. All lines must look like, and preferably actually BE, drawn in one continuous, smooth and equally thick stroke. Any breaks in the line drawings will show, just as they show in your links and just as they will show in a tattoo.

Just keep drawing. Work, work, work. Practice, practice, practice.

Oh, and put on your dragon-skin flame-proof suit ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@ArniVidar 121010 wrote:

Just keep drawing. Work, work, work. Practice, practice, practice.

Oh, and put on your dragon-skin flame-proof suit ๐Ÿ˜‰

Arni,
    That was right on. I’m going to consider taking you off the “ass hole” list!

(and boost my bribery fund!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.