big-ad
Participant
@big-ad

I really need some advice on tattoo aftercare. No matter how well i look after my tattoos they always scab quite badly. My normal routine is when i return from the tattoo artist (around 3pm) i usually leave my tattoo bandaged for a couple of hours as i bleed quite a lot, and lose plasma for hours after. After 2-3 hours i remove the bandage and gently was with warm water and perfume free soap. I dry it gently and then leave it around half an hour to dry properly, i then apply a light coating of Vaseline intensive recovery moisturiser. I repeat this before i go to bed. usually by the time i get up in the morning the scabbing has already started. I wash my tattoo and let it dry then again apply moisturiser, I do this 3 times on the second day. When i get up the following morning there is usually a thick scab formed on my tattoo, i only sleep for around 6 hours, but i am quite active in my sleep turning quite regularly. What am i doing wrong? I have a full sleeve and chest plate on my right side and had the same problem as im having now (sleeve and chest plate on my left side). My previous sitting i had all my left pectoral tattooed, and surprisingly had no problems despite having outline shading and colouring done in one sitting and it healed within a week and i did nothing different to what i do at any other time, which is why i am so confused as to where im going wrong? Can anyone advise me?

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Why do you think your doing anything wrong? Are you losing color? Scabbing is normal and different for everyone. I usually scab after about 5 days when the majority is healed but pealing. I dont lose any color unless the scabs come off early. Try changing to A&D Ointment. It seem to coat the area better and not get absorbed as much.

FunhouseTattoo
Participant
@funhousetattoo

At our shop we usually suggest using A&D or any kind of ointment anywhere from 2-3 days after getting the tattoo. Sometimes many use for 4 days. After that we suggest using unscented lotion through the rest of the stages. Always pat dry after washing. Feel free to hit us back for any other suggestions!

delboi1987
Participant
@delboi1987

i always cover my tattoos with cling film for a few days, it keeps all the moisture in, protects it, and the scabs dont go hard and rip off

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Cling wrap is a bad idea. It will only prolong the healing.

Ben1985
Participant
@ben1985

The man’s right. You need air to get to that ink.

delboi1987
Participant
@delboi1987

i sleep without the cling film, and take it off after work , all my tattoos heal fast and well, works well for me, but evryones different

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Everyone is different in the healing process. I hardly bleed at all when being tattooed and absolutely no blood after being tattooed also very little in the plasma stakes too. I used cling film to cover for the 1st 3 days in work as tattoo goo would have ruined my work shirts and the feeling of shirts rubbing wouldn’t be nice then when out of work the wrap came straight off. I always wash it 3-4 times a day pat dry and re apply tattoo goo. When I took the cling film wrap off it peeled quite quick as a lot more air was getting to it.
If you bleed and ooze a lot I would say take the dressing off straight away when at home and dab blood and ooze away until it stops as you will scab loads more if it builds up.
If the end result it a good tattoo either way then your not doing anything wrong.

big-ad
Participant
@big-ad

thanks for the advice guys, i do lose some colour because the thick scabbing cracks in areas that wrinkle a lot and then the cracks weep and re-scab. problem with cling film is it makes me sweat and then thats just a breeding ground for bacteria nad asking for infection. I cant use A&D cream as it has lanolin in it and im allergic to it.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

I don’t like A&D, Aquaphor,Vaseline, etc because these contain Petroleum jelly, petrolatum, mineral oil or soft paraffin.

These ingredients suffocate the skin by forming an oil film. Healthy skin needs to take in oxygen and release carbon dioxide. This process should not be inhibited. Holding large amounts of moisture in the skin can “flood” the biology, and may result in immature, unhealthy, sensitive skin that dries out easily.

I prefer a more natural alternative. You may want to try out Carol’s Daughter body jelly. That’s what I use. It’s natural and does not contain fragrance. Link below.

http://www.carolsdaughter.com/product/bath-body/body_bath_best_sellers/body_jelly.do?search=basic&keyword=jelly&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.