rap214
Participant
@rap214

Sorry for the superfluous punctuation on the title 🙁 Anyway I want to get the phrase “Fideli Certa Merces” tattooed on me somewhere. I have a couple places in mind but where would yall recommend I get this tattoo placed? Any input would be amazingly helpful!!

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Across your entire chest

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

bottom of your foot.

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

I just have a few questions before I can think of placement…..

what does it mean? (sorry, I only speak japanese and took sign language)
what does it mean for you, personally?
what kind of impact do you want it to have on the world that sees it?
what kind of font were you thinking of?
size?
color…if any?
shading…if any?

rap214
Participant
@rap214

First off thanks for actually wanting some detail!
In response to your questions.

It means- to the faithful reward is certain
What it means to me- It pretty much applies to putting real effort into anything but it also happens to be my family motto, its written under my family crest
Impact- I want the world to see it but not in a flashy, in your face kind of way
Size- not huge but big enough to make a statement
Color-Black
font- Old english script
no shading

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

first off…. nice quote 😉

if you have it done in old english it would look shite….. it needs to be in a nice flowing text to compliment it.
i would recommend flowing text with filigre and subtle shading.

i dont know if you are male or female , but if a male i would suggest on your inner arm, that way it can be discretely hidden if you choose to wear long sleeves. And if your a female then i would suggest on your upper back in your shoulder blade area, likewise you can either show it off or discreetly cover it with good choice of clothing

rap214
Participant
@rap214

Im a dude. Why do you bash old english so much? Can you give me an example of what a “nice flowing text” would be? And when you so inner arm you mean forearm am I right? Thanks for the response!

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee
rap214;71482 wrote:
First off thanks for actually wanting some detail!
In response to your questions.

It means- to the faithful reward is certain
What it means to me- It pretty much applies to putting real effort into anything but it also happens to be my family motto, its written under my family crest
Impact- I want the world to see it but not in a flashy, in your face kind of way
Size- not huge but big enough to make a statement
Color-Black
font- Old english script
no shading

Mind you, I asked lots of questions because it would help me have a better idea as to what would be more appropriate or well-suited for you. BUT, this is just an opinion.

Judging from what the quote means to you, it should be on a power side of the body. So if you’re right handed, I’d choose the right side.

I would also think about putting you family crest with it since that identifies it with your family and that also states who you are, not just as a person but as a whole family behind you. It would be like you paying some homage to your roots and the motto that is a major part of that.

Old English would be nice, but there are different styles of Old English as well that you might want to be picky about. Make sure the font will be done well where the letters don’t look like they mush together. Spacing of this would be key as well as sizing, especially for the placement.

I’m happy that you’re not wanting color or shading, I think that would cheapen the quote to almost cliche.

From all this, I’m thinking that perhaps on the inner part of the forearm (power-side) would be best; so when you decide to open your palms up, which is a sort of welcoming gesture, you are letting someone into a bit of your life and letting them see a piece of who you are and what you stand for. this also means you can choose who sees it more than just everyone. People can get a little glimpse of it but if YOU choose to show it, you can do so. Also if you put it on the other side of the forearm, (palm facing down) its almost an aggressive pose.

rap214
Participant
@rap214

Man I love this forum! Can you give me some examples of a font you think would be appropriate for this tattoo? You really to know your stuff and I’m honestly still a bit lost in the woods so to say. To clear things up a bit; the font I was thinking of using is an old english font called Old London

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee
rap214;71502 wrote:
Man I love this forum! Can you give me some examples of a font you think would be appropriate for this tattoo? You really to know your stuff and I’m honestly still a bit lost in the woods so to say. To clear things up a bit; the font I was thinking of using is an old english font called Old London

do you have an example of the font?

Also, can you show me a pic of the family crest? that is if you’re going to put the family crest on as well.
But it would help me think of a font that may look appropriate for it.

I’m thinking Old English styles would be fine but I just am worried that, depending on the artist, they may or may not put it too close together or make it too blocky where in the long run, it would look mushy. (I mean years form now) I like crisp looking tatts.

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

That font works.

Just make sure the artist doesn’t fatten it too much. Keep the lines all as you see it.

Also, check your private messages.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

I have to say I don’t like old english style generally. Maybe because, in the UK, it’s a bit overused on unoriginal tattoos, imo. Perhaps a good idea would be to get that ‘feel’ but more flowing, as has been suggested

http://www.dafont.com/cretino.font
http://www.dafont.com/strassburg-fraktur.font
http://www.dafont.com/cardinal.font

Just a few examples. But dafont.com has thousands of options. I’d have a look about 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.