vendetta-92
Participant
@vendetta-92

ALRIGHT Ive seen alot of tattoos on here, and I must say theyre all pretty damn good. BUT, I want to nit-pick an idea brought forth, and that is that some on here consider having a complicated reason behind getting a tattoo is….well…. *getting blunt here* a completely retarded idea, as it is supposed to be art. I dont want to get anyone riled up over the conversation, because I plan to get tattoos that dont mean jack shit about anything. But I do really dig the concept of getting tattoos that pertain to your life, and tell a story in pictures on your body, as I have started to do. SO, I wanna see you throwing in your two cents on the subject. Go ahead and flame me to the point of my cremation, cuz I’d rather hear truth than anything else to boot.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Not sure what your question or really where your point of view is. Personally, my tattoos have a slightly deeper meaning without going overly complicated. I’m petrified of the end of life as we know it due to a biological attack that kills almost everyone and the people that it doesn’t kill (probably me, with my luck) have to deal with the post apocalyptical world full of Zombies. Ok, that’s a little complicated but it resonates with me. I think you will find the whole spectrum here, from people getting religion that is embedded in their core tattooed to people who just walked in and got flash because they didn’t have anything better to do on a saturday night. They are both valid reasons to get a tattoo.

So the question is, are you one of “those people who consider having a complicated reason for getting a tattoo a completely retarded idea”? To me, that’s just as judgmental as calling you shallow for not having a meaning. Why Judge? What difference does it make to you whether my tattoo has meaning to me or not? And why would you want to take that from someone? I see a lot of people that bring closure to the hard parts of their lives by tattooing it to their body. Are you going to say that they don’t deserve that closure because you think its a completely retarded reason to get a tattoo?

I’m interested to hear your answers to these questions….

vendetta-92
Participant
@vendetta-92

As far as I’m concerned it doesnt really matter to me what anyone gets, I just wanted to feel the forum out, because I cherish the ones I get with a deep personal meaning. If EVERYONE in the forum thinks “thats retarded” then I would find someplace elsewhere to conduct my business. I also want to get some random ass things thatll have absolutely no meaning whatsoever. So consider me a mutt lol.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Nothing really wrong with having a deep meaning behind a tattoo. Some of mine have personal meanings, some dont. Ever since Miami and LA ink came along, many people believe a tattoo absolutely must have a deep, touching story behind it, which is BS. I just tell people “You like the way it looks, just get it done.”

ER88
Participant
@er88

My first tattoo started out as purely aesthetic but as I thought about it I kind of applied a meaning to it. My second one is christmasy because I was born on christmas… haha. So neither of mine were way in depth, but I am planning on getting a religious tattoo soon. Also, I have been” suffering” from pretty severe mental illness (bipolar) for the last half of my life and have been through a lot, good and bad, because of it. It drives my creativity but also puts me in hospitals. When I am medicated yeah it takes away the “illness” but it also takes away some of the good, too. So I am vaguely thinking of doing something that represents dualities, like the dualities of moods in bipolar disorder as well as the co-occuring good/bad effects it has on me. Some people might think this idea is stupid to affiliate myself with an “illness” but to me it’s not that simple I guess.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Mine is a whole conglomeration of meanings, and it’s crucially important to me. It’s not a deep touching story, but it pulls on many aspects of my life.

I personally don’t really get the pure aesthetic approach, i want my ink to look beautiful but it would have to have a basis in something to do with me. But I don’t mind either way why this person or that gets one

KJD2121
Participant
@kjd2121

I like tigers, so I got a tiger. Easy. So it means strength and I am strong both physically and mentally. who cares about that, I like tigers. Especially Japanese ones. I guess I could create a whole touching story, but the truth is, I like tigers.

Whatever.

jsin4050
Participant
@jsin4050
ER88;69438 wrote:
My first tattoo started out as purely aesthetic but as I thought about it I kind of applied a meaning to it. My second one is christmasy because I was born on christmas… haha. So neither of mine were way in depth, but I am planning on getting a religious tattoo soon. Also, I have been” suffering” from pretty severe mental illness (bipolar) for the last half of my life and have been through a lot, good and bad, because of it. It drives my creativity but also puts me in hospitals. When I am medicated yeah it takes away the “illness” but it also takes away some of the good, too. So I am vaguely thinking of doing something that represents dualities, like the dualities of moods in bipolar disorder as well as the co-occuring good/bad effects it has on me. Some people might think this idea is stupid to affiliate myself with an “illness” but to me it’s not that simple I guess.

Call it a disease or whatever you want, it’s something you’ve lived through and i’m sure it’s changed you. I think that would be a great concept for a very meaningful tattoo, kind of a reminder too for when you’re feeling really low that it’ll pass and life will be great again. I say rock on

vendetta-92
Participant
@vendetta-92

Cool, I guess I’m not alone then lol.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
KJD2121;69453 wrote:
I like tigers, so I got a tiger. Easy. So it means strength and I am strong both physically and mentally. who cares about that, I like tigers. Especially Japanese ones. I guess I could create a whole touching story, but the truth is, I like tigers.

Whatever.

you say whatever, but did you ever stop to think that maybe you like tigers because you identify with their strength therefore giving you meaning to your tattoo that you got because you like tigers?

Just sayin’

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I think a great looking tattoo looks great, regardless of the meaning behind it and a shitty tattoo looks shitty, regardless of the meaning behind it.

Basically, I’m not concerned with the meaning behind it. If you have a deep touching story behind it, great; if you only have aesthetics in mind, fine. I just want to see good looking tattoos.

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

If you want a tat for looks or something that has meaning, its up to you. Fuck what anyone else thinks. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink (except mine of course). Some of my tats have meaning, but that doesn’t mean i tell everone what that is.

kangarooman
Participant
@kangarooman

I agree with an earlier post….shows like Miami Ink and LA INK make it seem like every single person getting a tattoo has to have a touching, heartfelt story behind it..which is pretty ridiculous. Some tattoos have loads of meaning and others have none. Mine are pretty much a mix of the two. I have everything from vampires, aliens, demons, and other sweet stuff like that just because it’s well…awesome! and I’ve loved stuff like that for my whole life. No other personal meaning other than that. And tbh most of the time when someone asks me what they all mean I usually say something like “Eh they look cool”. lol

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.