Jennluff
Participant
@jennluff

– where do I start?
I’ve been lurking for the past few days, and I’ve realised theres a LOT more to getting a good tattoo than just picking something I like the look of.
Things I thought were amazing a week ago, I’m now wondering what the hell I was thinking.

So, where do you reccommend I start? By this I mean, what resources should I look at/study so that I get a feel for what actually is a good tattoo, for what makes a good design?

Thanks for your help (:

ArniVidar
@arnividar

First off, check out the link in Sherav’s signature for loads of info on the actual stuff… inks and theory and history and whatnot. It’s an awesome reference.

As for the where to start question, Gsouder had a good answer to that just a few days ago…

… here it is: http://www.thetattooforum.com/custom-tattoo-do-start-t15410.html?t=15410

That’s one answer. Nobody can really say where it’s best for you to begin with your journey. Mine began with life changes and symbolics. The first tattoo I ever started designing was my Phoenix tattoo (still haven’t turned it to ink) because the Phoenix has extremely strong symbolic meaning to me AND it also flows with my love for fantasy. A few years later and with ideas for half my body flowing, I’m just starting my journey, and loving (and hating) every moment of it. It’s tough not being able to afford the ink you want 😀

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

to be honest, you have got to have a vague idea of the type of tattoo you want

ii had the idea of an asian style tattoo in my mind and i narrowed it down to 3 things, they were, a dragon, a geisha or a tiger, and i decided after looking at pieces and how the look for long enough that a dragon would be for me, you see, we cant tell you what you like 😛 tattoo books are good too though =]

DizziDip
Participant
@dizzidip

Whatever ink you choose, you have to choose to have it because you like it.

It may mean nothing to someone else, it may look like a skid mark to anyone else, so long as you like it and you truly want that inked forever upon yourself then go for it.

In my opinion (and that is only mine) a tattoo can be anything you like, it needn’t have meaning. Just as long as you love it and acknowledge that once inked, it’s done.

D x

Demure
Participant
@demure

In my opinion you should get a tattoo for a REASON not to -just- get a tattoo. Every tattoo I get in my life is going to be because of a life lesson or because of a huge change that occurs in my life. I’m not going to get a star on my hip because OH WOW I LOVE STARS!!! Spare me… please.

Jennluff
Participant
@jennluff

Thanks for the replies guys (:
Gsouder’s reply in that other thread was a good starting point.
I like that tattoo mean different things to different people, that everyone gets tattoos for completely different reasons, or no reason at all.

I guess I’m also asking about composition/execution – for example, that thread on “What do you think this tattoo means”. Blind Freddie could see it was badly drawn, how do I avoid that mistake on a more subtle level? If I get a more busy piece, how do I ensure it’s not overbalanced?

Is it just a matter of liking my artist’s work and trusting them.

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

You can ask the tattooist if he/she thinks it’s overbalanced 😛 pretty simple answer but theyre usually pretty keyed up on these things lol.

Demure
Participant
@demure

There are generally a few KEY elements to every design. There are things you can do without as well. The artist generally knows these things. If you are wanting a very busy design, give the artist those things that HAVE to be in the piece then give them random other things to choose to tie it together. These things are small and usually easily duplicated for backgrounds. Yes and go and look at an artists book and see what they’re working on when you go to the parlor. Make sure their work is to your liking. You’re living with it on your body for an eternity. Hope this helps.

Example: I’m getting a sleeve. I want it to have a window, chair, and a book shelf. These things have to be in it. If you can fit in a tv and a fan that would be great. I really like the argyle pattern so if you could make that the background to tie it all together, that would be great.

Get it? (Not that I’d get a living room as a tattoo…. this is just an example. lol)

Jennluff
Participant
@jennluff

Thanls so much f or the advice guys! (:
Demure- that makes heaps of sense, thanks!

GlennWills
Participant
@glennwills

Man why does no one go with my original answer anymore….

pick a random tattoo shop out of the yellow pages, find old biker guy in a closet sized shop doing tattoos while smoking cigars who doesn’t card, pick grim reaper off the wall, ta-da.

Seriously. That’s how 90% of my right sleeve got there.

So yeah, now you have lots of reference, websites, magazines, spoiled bastards! :p

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.