TheCTBack
Participant
@thectback

Hi, new to this whole thing, want to get a first tattoo, something colorful and abstract that I won’t regret. I know that no one can tell me if it’s a good idea or not but myself, but ANY input on the design I drew up would be GREATLY appreciated. Or even someone’s best rough guess at how much it would cost. It would be on the side/edge of my chest starting at the waistline, about 6 inches in length. I’m a guy for the record.

Anyways, here it is so far, thanks in advance:

abstract1.jpg

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

well its vert graffiti and hip looking but i personally dont think it will work that well for a tattoo
i’d still be interested in seeing it as a tattoo if you get it done pots pics :rolleyes:

TheCTBack
Participant
@thectback

Thanks for the input, what do you mean by it wouldn’t make a good tattoo, just to clarify? Like it’s not the kind of thing you’d want to see on someone’s body, or that t5e colors and shapes wouldn’t transfer well into skin and ink?

SugarSpice_x
Participant
@sugarspice_x

I’m sorry I’m still learning about tattoos so I can’t tell you too much that’ll be helpful! But I just thought I’d say I really like your design and I think the colours go really well together! 🙂

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

i think it would look a bit odd as a tattoo as well… in a sense that no matter where you put it, the location will look just odd… and its very abstract, so it would be hard to work any “theme” to go with it..

endoftheday
Participant
@endoftheday

Original desing – like the colours and reckon it should look great.

TheCTBack
Participant
@thectback

Thanks for the input, it all helps. Here’s another idea, some more abstract, colorful thread/fabric sorta stuff:

abstract2.jpg

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

I think a key design element of tattoos is, “if you have to explain to people WHAT it is, its not a good idea for a tattoo.”
That being said, the second pic is pretty nice. I could definitely rock that. The first design looks like stained glass. If you framed it in an oval it would probably work. You might also try like a flap of skin peeling back to show that its under your skin. Know what I mean? I think that would work too.

Gym
Participant
@gym

I think the first design could work well if you were to sleeve a whole area in the same manner but not as a single piece. A good tattoo design has balance, flow and movement. Your second design has all those things. One thing worth mentioning though is that your skin is not white like paper and you need to consider that if you’re designing something with a lot of fades into the skin tone.

The second one is definitely more unique but either way, look into your artists skills before you get it. You don’t want just any tattooist doing that sort of work.

good luck with it

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

Actually I think a theme would be easy to get out of both of those. When I look at the first one I don’t see it on your chest or ribs though. Instead I see it on the back or front of your shoulder. Think something like biomech but instead of the mech it would be more of a polished crystaline bone structure. Then take the second fabric one in specific places over that to represent ligiments and muscle tissue.

iMark
Participant
@imark

I love the first version. I’m not sure how well the white highlights would translate to ink, but it’s unique and beautiful and gets a thumbs up from me.

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I think both of the designs are super pretty, the colours are amazing and would really pop unless you’re the tanning type in which case they’d fade like crazy.

I don’t think tattoos have to be easily recognised as an object, I have a few that are just patterns and squiggles just because i thought they looked nice. I think the first design is the stronger of the two as far as translation into a tattoo goes, it would be easily extendable if you decided you wanted it bigger and it’d look amazing on your side.

With the second design; you’d really have to do your research as far as an artist goes, not any old Tom, Dick or Harry will be capable of pulling off something so detailed without the colours just merging into a blob a couple of years down the line or even straight after healing if you’re super unlucky.

If I were you I’d go with the first but that’s just me. Also, a heads up, your side and tummy will be really tender, especially if it’s your first so brace yourself, take a mars bar and a coke to keep your sugar up.

Best of luck 🙂

TheCTBack
Participant
@thectback

Thanks everyone. I actually am pretty pale (I can thank my Irish ancestors for that) so hopefully the colors will translate well, even if they can’t exactly compare to markers over white paper. I’m kind of considering mixing the two like a couple of you suggested, like the stained glass stuff wrapped in the colorful ribbon. Like someone said getting just the the fabric stuff has the potential to look terrible if I get it done by the wrong artist. I’m going to watch a friend get one touched up on thursday so I’ll bring some sketches with me and inquire about prices and if they could even do what I’m envisioning. There’s one guy that does most of the portraits at the shop who looks like he has some serious detail skills.

Quick question–how would they do the white highlights? can they do white ink over dark colors? Sorry I’m so new to this.

Thanks again for all the help so far

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

Whenever I’ve had highlighting done they leave a little gap in the colour and fill it in with the white so don’t panic if it looks like they havn’t gone all the way to the lines like I did the first time.

I’m kinda partial to really bright tattoos so I think you’re on to something really awesome and original. I’d love to see the final sketch when you’ve come up with it and DEF love to see it once it’s done 🙂

TheCTBack
Participant
@thectback

^Knowing all the little things like what you jsut said will make my first ink experience much more comfortable I’m sure.
I’ll deffinately post whatever I come up with in the next few days, and the final inked product a little after my 18th birthday on April 9th

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.