MissP83
Participant
@missp83

i have a friend that wants this tattooed. but every time he asks an artist locally they say it cannot be done. i figured this would be the best possible place to ask if this can be turned into a decent tattoo. please let me know what you think.

ladyinskull.jpg

if you want to look up a clearer or larger image you can google “all is vanity” by allen gilbert

any input is GREATLY appreciated!!

endoftheday
Participant
@endoftheday

Ihad the same problem with a raven design a few years ago, esentially the problem is it’s to dark – even for shading – it’s a great idea but just wouldn’t work in ink – you’d get none of subtlety that makes the piece so good.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The short answer is yes it can be done.

The longer answer is it can be done but will not look as good as the orig picture, or you will have to alter the orig to make it into a more tattoo friendly piece.

The reason is that the shadowing and shading there may not translate as well on skin even by a master artist. To get the tattoo to work the artist would have to;

1. Put a lot of definition into all the objects so that it stands out losing the blur/shadowing and making it a more formal portrait piece. (You would also have to replace the cloth lines with shading as would look really bad in a few years as will blur together)

or

2. Lose a lot of the detail but the tattoo runs a risk of becoming blurred or not as clear as the drawing.

I also love the way they have incorporated a skull image into the piece when you look at it from a distance which is a very typical victorian macarbe piece.

Take Care
Matthew

Gym
Participant
@gym

I agree that technically it could be done and with the proper needle techniques, done well, but practically it is another story. It would have to be at least a large thigh peice but the biggest downfall is that the operational practicalities of tattooing would make it a nightmare piece to perform. Just making the stencil would require many many hours, let alone keeping it in working condition long enough to finish the piece. Anyone brave enough to attempt it would be charging in the range of $350 an hour.

MissP83
Participant
@missp83

thank you all so much for your input! its very much appreciated!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.