GnarlyBro
Participant
@gnarlybro

I’ve noticed that A LOT of people(mostly girls but also guys) have flower/rose tattoos and I always wondered, what does it mean?
They look really neat but I just never understood the meaning to it. What does your flower/rose tattoo mean? or what would it mean to you?

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

Well the rose is a very classic tattoo design. They just kinda go together, especially for those of us who have a weakness for flash tattoo art designs. Aside from that, for me it is the mix of the beautifull soft flower petals and the sharp unforgiving thorns. In its own way it’s an analogy for life, if you want to grab hold of the beauty you have to work your way through the pain. And if you arn’t careful you’re very likely to get cut along the way.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

It depends on which culture you take it from but the red rose (or similar coloured flowers like anemones) represent love gained or lost.

The Greek legends hold that Adonis who was loved by Aphrodite and all women who knew him was killed by a jealous god who took the form of a boar and gored him to death.

His blood was supposed to have stained the anemone flowers from white to red and with it his love/life was kept going.

Another legend states that it was Chloris Goddess of Flowers who created the rose with the help of other gods to become queen of the flowers.

The Romanss believed the rose was created by the goddess Diana as a maiden called Rhodanthe was chased by suitors and she turned her into the flower and the suitors into thorns (hence the term loves hurts)

The Persians believed that the nightingale loved the white rose so much it impaled itself on the thorns and the blood stained the rose red.

It is generally a symbol of love but can be used to describe loss of a loved one.

Take Care
Matthew

bighairedmike
Participant
@bighairedmike

Mine is a tribute to my Gran who died just after my birthday. I have a black and grey on on my shoulder blade with her initials underneath. I got the rose because it was her favourite flower but having read the end of Matthew’s post it makes quite a lot fo sense.

GnarlyBro
Participant
@gnarlybro

Wow I didn’t realize that it had that many meanings. But now I understand it a lot more!
My friend also has a korean flower on his arm and he said it’s a cultural thing, so every flower/rose tattoo I have seen probably meant something else to them. Thanks for the comments!

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
GnarlyBro;60032 wrote:
Wow I didn’t realize that it had that many meanings. But now I understand it a lot more!
My friend also has a korean flower on his arm and he said it’s a cultural thing, so every flower/rose tattoo I have seen probably meant something else to them. Thanks for the comments!

Check my album I have a japanese style 3/4 sleeve with flowers and waves! Going to make it a full this spring, as my other arm is being worked on 🙂

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

I have black & grey roses on my shoulder blade for my parents with their initials, birth/death year….I have a newly very thorny rose cluster on my lower abdomen, and I have a half sleeve of lotus & flowers that are budding & blooming skull heads….that one was just a really screwed up thought I had! lol

GnarlyBro
Participant
@gnarlybro

Wow nice tats both of you, those waves around your flower is sick Dubbs and the blooming skull heads is insane Blue1. I would never in my life think of that, haha good luck on finishing the sleeves!

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
GnarlyBro;60113 wrote:
Wow nice tats both of you, those waves around your flower is sick Dubbs and the blooming skull heads is insane Blue1. I would never in my life think of that, haha good luck on finishing the sleeves!

thanks, I should really take better pictures, the lack of lighting doesn’t show the diff colors and such.

JMac0123
Participant
@jmac0123

Mine resemble peoples action or words how they can sometimes be sharp and hurt but not to let the affect me. hence the quote “no thorn will pierce my armor”.

Photo22.jpg

Photo21-1.jpg

Photo27.jpg

Photo29.jpg

Snowyowl
Participant
@snowyowl

Here is a picture of my daughters memorial tattoo for her best friend.

http://www.thetattooforum.com/album.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=5428

GnarlyBro
Participant
@gnarlybro

Wow JMAC thats really unique, I like it a lot
did you think of it yourself?

and snowy, that tattoo has deep meaning.. i respect it.

Snowyowl
Participant
@snowyowl

Ya it was all my daughters idea. Her friend loved roses. Some of the girls in her family went out and got a tattoo that had some saying and my daughter wanted it too but I made her wait. Then she kept saying she wanted the roses. So I made her wait and really think about it. She loves it and wants more. 🙂 It was a major lose in her life. The friend had a baby 2 months before her accident too. She named her Jayda Rose. So the family has a baby to love now.

JMac0123
Participant
@jmac0123
GnarlyBro;60155 wrote:
Wow JMAC thats really unique, I like it a lot
did you think of it yourself?

and snowy, that tattoo has deep meaning.. i respect it.

Thanks im very happy with it. Yes as far as I know its the only one like it. I wish I could copyright the idea so no one else could do it ha ha. Its a lot different then my original idea but came out soo much better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.