LoverKevinn
Participant
@loverkevinn

dude wash it good, pat dry and just use lubriderm non fragrance 3 times a day and your good to go, no ink lost healing is normal, puttin all sorts of oilments and shit doesnt let your tattoo breath in its early stages, u gotta let it breath so it heals naturally , just dont fuck with it, ive been doing this and never had any problems, ppl trip me out leaving the plastic on for weeks and shit lol…and i understand if u use A&D but that shit makes u break out

lvus4ed
Participant
@lvus4ed

Just my 2 cents, my artist puts on plastic film and says keep it on for 4 hours, then take it off and give it a good wash, but do NOT put any cream on for 48hours, only wash it every couple of hours. The cream he recommends to me is bepanthene, it’s a nappy rash cream, and apply it 3 times a day with a very thin layer, what I keep forgetting to ask him is for how long should I use it, but I kinda use it for three or even four weeks just to keep the skin moisturized. What do people think of that aftercare. I have had 4 tats with that artist and im happy with the out come of the tattoo. BTW I have thick skin because I got a tattoo with a different tattoo artist recently(much to my regret) and he said that I have skin like a rhino, and I have never got a skin infection either.

mam2girls
Participant
@mam2girls

with my new one i had it wrapped with cling film and been told to leave it on for an hour then wash it off with unscented soap like dove and use cold waterto rinse sopa off, pat it dry then apply bepanthen cream x

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Wow, I guess everyone really does have their own theory on aftercare. I honestly came here because I have heard, read, and been told so many theories that I wanted to see what the people on a forum would say. Now, It’s more complicated than ever!
I think Hunter is right, you have to find out what works best for you, which is why I’m kind of glad that my first couple of tattoos, (same tat, different artists,) were kind of low rent. If I had payed a lot of money for my piece, then gone and screwed it up with inappropriate aftercare, I woulda been PISSED!
Anyway, thanks. If for nothing else, for helping me to understand that aftercare is never the same for any one person.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Sherav;53607 wrote:
As everybody is different it is really down to them to find what what works best for them

+1

I only have 2 tats and followed instructions from each artist to the letter. The first guy told me to scrub the heck out of the tat for the 2st cleaning, use Aquaphor for 48 hours and then switch to lotion and use that for 2 weeks. He said to leave it uncovered at night. This tat took quite some time to heal and I lost a lot of ink the first week.

For the 2nd tat, the instructions were similar but with a few deviations. I was told to gently wash the tat the 1st night, use Aquaphor for 72 hours and then switch to lotion and use that for another 10-14 days. I was instructed to loosely cover the tat w/ saran wrap for the first few days at bedtime. This way the tat could still breathe but it wouldn’t get rubbed on the sheets while it was still raw. This tat healed up very quickly despite being about 4x the size of the other one and I shed very minimal ink.

The 2nd one healed up so well and so quickly that I will probably stick to that method from here on out.

McKinney
@

My artist also recommended this product as well. It’s actually called Bag Balm and can be found at your local pharmacy (Walgreens). It’s in a green (square) tin and as Vendetta indicated, it was developed for animals but works great on our skin (they have a story on their website). I will say this though, I’d preferred that the stuff had no smell at all and it certainly wasn’t made to attract the opposite sex. Just apply it, wrap it up and wash your hands really good and you’ll be all set.

[My .02]
After the ink was applied he quickly wrapped my arm in saran wrap. I went home, removed the saran wrap and washed the tattoo with dial anti-bacterial (pat dry with paper towels). Then I applied the Bag Balm ( a little goes a long way ) and loosely wrapped my arm (full half sleeve) in press-n-seal (again, artists recommendation). I noticed that the next morning I had very little loss of ink upon removal. The press-n-seal protected my clothes, bed and actually suppressed the sunburn feeling all together.

I repeated this process for the next couple of days – applying in the morning after my shower and in the evening just before crashing out. By day 3 I stopped using the press-n-seal and just applied the Bag Balm.

On day 5 I stopped using that all together and switched to Curel but noticed that it just couldn’t keep my arm moist enough (that itchy dry feeling) so I removed it and applied Burt Bee’s Body Butter (honey and shea). Been doing that since and my arm doesn’t itch at all and stays nice and moist. I’m on week two and my tattoo is all healed and I had no issues whatsoever.

vendetta-92;69463 wrote:
Udder balm, the stuff for milk cows. The artist I go to puts it on every one she does right after she cleans it out. Rub it on a dogs ears if theyre fly bitten too, it not only heals the wound, but deters the flies too. just an extra bit lol.
imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

Why are some people rewrapping a fresh tattoo? Isn’t that going to overmoisturize and leave heavy scabbing?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

This advice is from Black 13 Tattoo nashville, home of Josh Woods and Timmy B…………I follow it and it works…….just my 2 cents………….I hear so many jacked up pieces of advice, neosporin never, balms anything that can hold moisture never, I need the large pieces I get in 10 hours sessions to dry out and peel as quickly as possible

Healing for large sessions:
Bandage your tattoo with saran/plastic wrap allowing no air to get to the tattoo for the first 72 hours. Within those 72 hours remove the wrap every 4 hours and wash thoroughly with non-scented anti-bacterial soap. Re-apply wrap with new saran/plastic wrap. Repeat process for remainder of 72 hours. After 72 hours remove the wrap leaving the tattoo exposed and use an intensive care FRAGRANCE-FREE dry skin lotion such as Lubriderm. Apply lightly as needed and for as long as needed.

Healing for small sessions:
Take the bandage off when you are in a sterile environment and able to clean the area. Wash thoroughly with clean hands and non-scented anti-bacterial soap. Pat dry and apply a THIN coat of Vitamin A&D Ointment (found at most stores in the baby section) 2 to 3 times a day as needed for 3 days. After 3 days switch to a FRAGRANCE-FREE lotion such as Lubriderm. Wash the tattoo throughout the day making sure it stays clean.

Remember:
NO swimming. NO sun tanning. NO picking. Period! Sunlight fades tattoos, so after your tattoo heals keep it covered or use sunblock when you’re in the sun.

MissB
Participant
@missb

What is this A and D you all speak of? Can you get this in the UK?
What aftercare do you do for foot tattoos? I’m worried as I work 6 days a week and my feet are covered with work shoes for 10 hours a day!

ArniVidar
@arnividar
MissB;93946 wrote:
What is this A and D you all speak of? Can you get this in the UK?

You can get it in any pharmacy in Iceland, so they must have it in the UK as well.

Cypher
Participant
@cypher

Hi all,

I’ve just done my first tattoo yesterday and my biggest concern is the aftercare. So i got home, took off the bandage and washed with Dove Sensitive Skin (fragrance free) and then i let it air dry and i applied the Lubriderm (the moisturizer the artist recommended).

So i’m on my second day and already washed and put the moisturizer a few minutes ago. My skin stills feels a little dry but i’m affraid of putting to much moisturizer cause when i put it, i can see a little ink coming off. Is that normal?

It´s already becoming to itch a little bit… and i know DON’T SCRATCH just TAP IT! LooL i’m not even tapping, i’m just handling it…

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun
Cypher;95922 wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve just done my first tattoo yesterday and my biggest concern is the aftercare. So i got home, took off the bandage and washed with Dove Sensitive Skin (fragrance free) and then i let it air dry and i applied the Lubriderm (the moisturizer the artist recommended).

So i’m on my second day and already washed and put the moisturizer a few minutes ago. My skin stills feels a little dry but i’m affraid of putting to much moisturizer cause when i put it, i can see a little ink coming off. Is that normal?

It´s already becoming to itch a little bit… and i know DON’T SCRATCH just TAP IT! LooL i’m not even tapping, i’m just handling it…

I just got my first last Saturday, so I’m a few days ahead of you. I had the same issue, once I switched to lotion after the first few days, I started to get some black “flakes” come off when I applied the lotion. Freaked me out, even though I knew it was supposed to be normal, and its just the surface skin flaking and peeling, which is whats supposed to happen.

Just don’t put too much on, you want to keep it moisturized a few times a day, but not lather it up with gobs of lotion. Thursday (day 5) was my itchiest day. I think I applied lotion 4 times that day. And a few little flakes came off each time. Not a lot, just a few small flakes. Don’t rub it on too hard. Nice and easy. I’m at one week today and no flaking, itching is WAY down, almost gone. Still a tiny bit of peeling around a few spots, but I’m hoping by this time next week it will be all good!

Congrats on the ink! Post a pic when you can.

Cypher
Participant
@cypher

do you wash the tattoo every time u put the lotion? today i only washed the tattoo one time and the lotion one time too… i want to put lotion again in the middle of the afternoon but i don’t want to wash it again to keep it away from the water…

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

No, I’m not doing multiple daily washings any longer. I just wash it carefully in the shower still (I use a non-fragranced, non-scented soap all the time), and then put on the lotion. I’m still putting lotion on about 3 times a day (still a tad itchy and flaky). Not sure when I’ll stop. I’ve gotten so used to taking care of it, you know?

Hylland
Participant
@hylland

Oil based stuff (neosporin, triple antibiotic, A&D, aquaphor, vaselin) all work fine. People screw it up by putting too much on. You really don’t need anything mediated, your body will heal a tattoo just fine with or without it. The reason for ointment is a lot more utilitarian.

1. It keeps the skin pliable so it doesn’t dry out and crack, leaving a scar line through it.
2. For the first couple of days while its raw it simply feels better than water based lotion.

As for any of those pulling ink out, its all in be you use it. If you goop a thick layer on and leave it on like it says to do on the neosporin tube it’ll never evaporate. People like to say “it doesn’t let it breath”, whatever that means. If you’ve got a big goop of oil, the only thing it can do is soak into your already perforated skin and turn it into moosh. Then you either wash it out and your ink with it in the shower or let it dry into a thick scab and loose the ink when it falls off.

Always rub your ointment in with clean fingers, let it sit a couple of minutes, and wipe it completely off. That’s all it needs 3 or 4 times a day to keep it from cracking. There is no difference between neosporin and triple antibiotic ointment, and you don’t need the medication unless you actually develop an infection.

As for plastic wrap over a tattoo.

The plastic = petri dish
Body heat = incubator
Blood plasma = bacteria food

If the plasma doesn’t get wicked away or washed off and stays liquid because its not exposed to air, its perfect for growing a nasty colony of bacteria. Especially over the course of a few days.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.