AKing2713
    Participant
    @aking2713

Hey guys got a question for you. I was thinking later down the road of getting a sleeve tattoo done but theres only one thing thats sort of stopping me from getting a full one done(other than money :p )and that is work.

Now I could care less what other people think about tattoo’s on me but that thought sort of stops there once I go to work. I am just wondering about your take on tattoo’s at the work place. Have they ever gotten you into trouble? Have they ever stopped you from getting a job? I mean some jobs might be more tolerable than other but unfortunately I deal with the public on a day to day basis and the dress code we have to follow doesn’t allow us wear long sleeves. If you must know I work at best buy in the Geek Squad(don’t laugh its actually a sweet job… ok you can laugh). Anyways I asked my boss about it(he actually has a lot of tattoos but none of them are past the elbow so they are covered up) and he doesn’t think it will effect my job but he says there will always be people out there that don’t like them including my seniors at my job.

Just kind of want your thoughts about it

Thanks guys.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

I love tattooing.

Unfortunately every employer I have had has had a zero visible ink policy.

I have had a written warning over my tattoos on my arms (I was moving some tables and took my shirt off to my vest and I was pulled by management).

Most employers discourage or dislike ink past the elbow.

My advice is do it if you are certain you can either 1. Wear long sleeves or 2. Work in a long term job that does not care about ink.

Like everything that is different there is a prejudice carried by others.

Take Care

Matthew

PBimages
    Participant
    @pbimages

This is also the reason why I had my Tat on the top of my right arm…

I went in wearing a short sleaved shirt, similar to what I normally wear, so that the artist could mark on my arm where it came to and went an inch above that mark for where the tat will eventually end-up…

As I am studying hard to work with either the police… or an independant Forensic Lab…

So I didn’t wish to have my Tat effect any potential career moves…

I wanted a tat for personal reasons… so therefore the tat stays private – unless I wish to show it off…

However most of the girls on the course have realised that they now have an issue, as there tats are all visible… some have them on their wrists… however one girl has a full necklace of tats… which are completly visible… she only had them done a couple of months back…

But when the head of the Forensic Division came to talk to us recently… they told her that they would not offer her a postion because of her tats…

This left her extremely upset… she has spent four years training only to be told that her tats have now denied her a chance to work in Forensics…

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink
    PBimages;37714 wrote:
    This is also the reason why I had my Tat on the top of my right arm…

I went in wearing a short sleaved shirt, similar to what I normally wear, so that the artist could mark on my arm where it came to and went an inch above that mark for where the tat will eventually end-up…

As I am studying hard to work with either the police… or an independant Forensic Lab…

So I didn’t wish to have my Tat effect any potential career moves…

I wanted a tat for personal reasons… so therefore the tat stays private – unless I wish to show it off…

However most of the girls on the course have realised that they now have an issue, as there tats are all visible… some have them on their wrists… however one girl has a full necklace of tats… which are completly visible… she only had them done a couple of months back…

But when the head of the Forensic Division came to talk to us recently… they told her that they would not offer her a postion because of her tats…

This left her extremely upset… she has spent four years training only to be told that her tats have now denied her a chance to work in Forensics…

Heaps of police officers over here are heavily tattooed, i always get a shock when i see it because in my little mind theyre sposed to be straight lmao …..THEYRE NOT!!

DropDeadDani
    Participant
    @dropdeaddani

my work lets us have tattoo’s on display as long as there not offensive, which mine thankfully arnt!, i get some weird looks off people but i just think to myself tht there just jelous coz they will never have the chance to have a arm sleve like mine!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Izarrasink;37727 wrote:
    Heaps of police officers over here are heavily tattooed, i always get a shock when i see it because in my little mind theyre sposed to be straight lmao …..THEYRE NOT!!

In America, though, visible tattoos basically means you can’t work for the government at all. Hell, while trash collection is done by a private company (supported by taxes the gov pays over to them) in my part of Ohio, garbage men aren’t allowed to have them visible because Rumpke Dump’s government contractors hate them.

Freakin garbage men!

To my knowledge, the most lenient branch of our government on tattoos is the military. Get as many as you want, as long as they aren’t Anti-America or can bee seen in dress uniform. Of everyone I know who’s gone into the military (half my friends from HS, and more than a few of my family), only one of them fails to be more tattooed than I am.

Main stream America is Evangelical Christian, and they believe tattoos are evil and show you to have no morel values.

As to the original post, King man, tattoos aren’t completely socially acceptable. The pain, the fact that it makes you in some small way an outlaw, the fact that it’s a deeply personal experience that only a small portion of the populace will understand, it’s all part of the mystic.

Tattooing shows you’re part of an in group, that you’re one of us, not one of them, that you’re part of the club. It shows that in a small way, you reject the over riding culture’s taboo of modifying your God Given Body, and this just drives many people in-freaking-sane.

Having difficulty getting a job is part of the price of being in our club man. It ain’t right, but it’s there. My right arm is engulfed in tattoos, as will my left in a few years, and I know my chances of getting an office job again are pretty much nil.

If you’re that worried about it man, I’d follow follow Matthew’s advice:

Don’t do it, or make sure your job allows long sleeves.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

go for it and find a job that allows lol
    im lucky that i work mainly for myself so not got many rules 😀

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

It’s a bit more relaxed in Aus, coppers have visible tattoos here. Personally, I think it’s bullshit that someone wouldn’t hire you cos of your ink. I started a new job and a workmate pulled me aside and commented on the yin-yang on the nape of my neck, only because he had one on his wrist 🙂

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

well if i were to go and say have an interview at a dress shop or pharmacy, they would turn me down on the spot as thiers no way i can cover my tattoos unless i wear clothes right from the top of my neck to my toes and gloves lmao…..lucky i work for myself:D

AKing2713
    Participant
    @aking2713

Thanks for the replies. It was interesting to hear your thoughts.

@KnightHawk
    – What part of Ohio you live in. I’m in cincinatti

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    AKing2713;37869 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. It was interesting to hear your thoughts.

@KnightHawk
    – What part of Ohio you live in. I’m in cincinatti

Dude, me too. I’m actually a student at Uc’s art school, DAAP.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

BioMechanical_Vulture
    Participant
    @biomechanical_vulture

i hope discrimination againts ppl who have tattoos is over one day cuz i wanna get my sleeve so bad

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

Actually some shops seem to give jobs to ppl that have dreds and tattoo’s because it makes there stalls/shops seem more trendy and hip

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Besides Hot Topic, name one.

On second thought, don’t. Working for $7.50 an hour in a shop ain’t no way to make a living. Real jobs, the kind you support a family on rather than struggling from paycheck to paycheck generally hate tattoos.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

MrWills
    Participant
    @mrwills

I have armbands around both forearms and one around my rights wrist. I work for a large company and they don’t care. I was in the military and they just said nothing offensive or anit USA. Like others have said make sure you can live with your choice as some peoople will judge you. Good Luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.