Banana Joe
    Participant
    @banana-joe

I’m glad I stumbled across this cool forum. I just got back from Honolulu early this morning and while I was there I got a couple of more tribal look tats. I went to a couple of shops to see if the costs would be similar. Well I won’t mention any names, but the first shop I walked into quoted me $450 and the one basically right across the road quoted me only $300 for exactly the same two pieces. . Do you suppose they charge such a high price because of the Fame in their name? If I can can get just as good of a job done for $150 less, then I would say the first shop is a ripoff, wouldn’t you agree? The first shop I went into is very well known nation wide. Cheers, Joe

refcarl88
    Participant
    @refcarl88

Banana Joe, i think like everything you can buy, you pay for the name. Also you pay for the artists. The more well known artists the prices go up. Just an observation on my part.

infallible
    Participant
    @infallible

prices vary…

Do i want to do it?
    How much time do I have to spend on it?
    Do I personally think it’s worth my effort?
    Am I into the tattoo?
    Is it worth even setting up my equipment and prep time for the tattoo?

I hate tribals. Most tribals people get aren’t really even tribals. Most people don’t even realize that each character is a representation of something and has a cultural background. I.E. Polynesian, Somoan, Moab. Things of that nature. I’ll always quote high on a regular lame tribal because it’s not worth my time, i personally think it’s rediculous and only unimaginative peons get big black solid tribals because they just want a tattoo and can’t come up with something good.

cheap tat
    Participant
    @cheap-tat

cheap tattoo’s arent good, and good tattoo’s arent cheap.

scuba5794
    Participant
    @scuba5794

well said cheap tat you should not worry too much about the price since you will have this for your entire life get a design you fall in love with and an artist you feel comfortable with

refcarl88
    Participant
    @refcarl88

I’ve just got back from a meeting with an artist at a local shop. Very reputable artist i might add. We went through some designs and we also focused on the layout. A general sleeve of this type will generally take about 25 / 30 hours. The artist i have spoken to said he will charge for the hour. £40 per hour. So overall 30 hours at £40 p/h leads to a nice figure of £1200. But i really like the tattoo and i get on really well with the artist! So will be getting it soon. Many thanks for all the replies.

AJLee613
    Participant
    @ajlee613

im currently getting a large half back piece done, the artist said its a rare oppertunity to work on somthing freehand thatis large like this that can utilize his shading and detail work skills. so he told me he is gonna give it to me for 500 flat, but i have to tell everyoen who asks that he did it for me haha.

so i really do think prices vary according to how much ur artist wants to do the work for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.