killeybh
    Participant
    @killeybh

Hi all,

Got this done a month ago, the plan was to go into a full sleeve. However, I am skeptical of my artist. It isn’t what I envisioned as I wanted to go for a black and white, realistic detail style.

I asked my artist if he was going to put anymore detail into the clouds and shade anymore of what he has done and he said no, it would ruin it. I asked him a few other things and he said no to everything… kinda feel a bit like its my body so I should get to decide.

I like it but there is something a bit off about it, can anyone help me pin down what it is or what they would add to this to make it more detailed and realistic?

I have booked in to go see two other artists and see what they think about working on this and doing the sleeve but I want to go in a definitively say what I want added to it.
    Or do I just need to stick with this guy and wait for him to do it all as it will al fit together and work once he does the sleeve?

Any help appreciated

This is mine

This is the kind of style I was going for…

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Working with your tattooist is always important, They should listen to what you want and you should listen to their advice as they should know what will and wont work and the limit of their abilities. What you want is far beyond your tattooists abilities and he is very lazy he spent most of the time on the face of the compass and then quickly threw in some shit in the background.
    Choosing a tattooist is the most important part of getting a tattoo. Don’t choose a tattooist because location of shop, the shop, a buddy had a awesome tattoo done at that shop(different tattooist) or that you met the guy and you liked him/her. Only pick a tattooist based on the quality of work you are hiring them for a piece of art not to be your buddy. Post up a link to the portfolio of the other tattooists you are going to talk to. Where are you located we can help you find a great tattooist.

LilyPaige
    Participant
    @lilypaige

I love your tat, but I do agree that it could use some more shading. I also think that the customer should be able to decide what he wants done since he is the one paying for it. I would definitely go talk to some different tattoo artists instead of going back to the same guy. By the way, when your sleeve is finished, it is going to look awesome! I so love the look of the nautical tat you shared.

killeybh
    Participant
    @killeybh

Thanks, appreciate the advice from you both.
    I am in central London, have arranged to see 5 other artists now who all do the style I am looking for. I am going to see what they say and see who I get on with the most and can make me feel the most comfortable that they are going to finish this the way I want it 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.