lukenordman
Participant
@lukenordman

Hi I am drawing up a sleeve with 2 Koi fish and red Lotus flowers. I Also added cherry blossoms, then was told they contradict eachother and it upsetted a por of people. Is This true and if so what goes with my Lotus flowers?

Thanks,
Luke

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

I dont know of a contradiction between the two subjects. But traditionally koi are always depicted swimming upstream. Maybe that was the problem.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Thats so last year

lukenordman
Participant
@lukenordman

They both go up stream and I don’t care if it was last year this year or 50 years ago its my style

Frownsarefun
Participant
@frownsarefun

Having gotten tradition Japanese tattoos here in Japan by traditional Japanese tattoo artists, I can tell you that there is no definitive direction that koi must swim – upstream or downstream. They are done both ways. So don’t sweat it.

The only major uproar I can see when you mix flowers is that certain flowers, such as Sakura (cherry blossoms) are only around for about 10 days in Spring. So if other types of flowers or leaves are not in the same season, it might be an issue for purists.

lukenordman
Participant
@lukenordman

thank you this is quite helpful.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Not being funny but does it really matter?

Get whatever you want 🙂

lukenordman
Participant
@lukenordman
peterpoose;118815 wrote:
Not being funny but does it really matter?

Get whatever you want 🙂

to me it kind of does. idk why but id love to go to japan and learn but doubt thatll happen

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

The koi swims upstream to spawn so depicting them swimming downstream would be depicting it as rebellion or going against the grain. Just my two cents.

Nomad69
Participant
@nomad69

@lukenordman 119059 wrote:

to me it kind of does. idk why but id love to go to japan and learn but doubt thatll happen

You should get in touch with the guys at State of Grace in San Jose. My artist is Yokohama Horiken. He’s going to finish my arm by extending my half sleeve to become a full sleeve.

I have a Koi swimming up. According to Horiken things have to be balanced. There is a reason why these guys go into decade long apprenticeships with masters like Horiyoshi III, Horitomo etc. You don’t wing traditional Japanese and if you do, well then that’s your call. But I often see screwed up Japanese stuff on people like blue colored waves, one Koi up, one Koi down on the same arm, multiple different flowers (Cherry blossoms and peonies on the same side) etc.

lowprofilejoe
@

Can you post a photo?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.