starvingcfi
Participant
@starvingcfi

I’ve wanted a tattoo since I was 18, but haven’t been able to decide what to get. Now I’m 31, still without ink, and considering pulling the trigger on a blacked out 1/4 sleeve. I’m thinking sort of a negative look, leaving bare skin for whatever design I choose. I’m considering leaving a Red Sox logo (the B) and whatever else the tattoo artist recommends. I figure if I hate it, it can be filled in later.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any issues to consider?

I realize this is not the most original idea. However, it’s 13 years later and I still want something. If I keep waiting until I think of something with meaning (like one of those very meaningful chinese symbols :D) then I’ll just never have anything.

Also, I’m a corporate pilot so I have to stop at the 1/4. I’m thinking even then, I’ll have to switch to long sleeve shirts at work to be safe.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

I think what matters is YOU like it – My first tattoo wasn’t terribly original. A coed getting a cherry blossom is like a biker getting a naked lady. I like it, though, and it’s my own.

Like you, I’m a professional who really can’t have visible tattoos. (I LOVE the Red Sox, too!) I’m not sure a 1/4 sleeve that forever limits your clothing choices at work is a wise idea for a first tattoo if you’re already doubting you like it. You can get a tattoo just to get a tattoo, for the life experience, and while I don’t think it’s a bad reason, do you really want to be 40 and kicking yourself because you’re trapped in a hot cockpit in your little long-sleeved dress shirt with a tattoo you don’t really like? Get one in a more discreet place first. Just my two cents.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

A team logo is not much of a piece in my mind, why don’t you go see an artist and talk about some ideas, I think you will come up with something good together

starvingcfi
Participant
@starvingcfi

Thank you for the info. You’re right, it’ actually may not be a bad idea to start slightly smaller and work my way up to a 1/4 sleeve. Although I do prefer the long sleeve shirts, as the short sleeves make us look like insurance salesmen. 😉

While I do agree the Red Sox logo doesn’t carry much depth, it makes the tattoo something personal rather than just random designs an artist drew up. However, that’s a good point and I would definitely have a few conversations with the artist prior to the start.

One problem I see with waiting… I live and work in India and plan to start this process when I get home (US) in May. I’ll have a month, but I don’t plan to be in the chair on day 1. I have no qualms with finishing the piece in India. My only fear would be variation in color. Is that a valid concern?

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

I’m not sure about that – I simply don’t know enough about what sort of ink is available internationally. Surely someone does, though. This is another reason I’d go with a smaller piece that can be finished at one place.

And if I worked in India, especially in the summer, I’d wear short sleeves and omit any other clothes I could! 😉

Inkmywholebodi
Participant
@inkmywholebodi

If your that set on the red sox “B” then you could just start with that somewhere a little higher up like on your shoulder. Still could wear short sleeves and have plenty of room to cover it up with something if it turns out to not fit your taste further down the line. Personally I would wait until something you really really want comes to mind. Good luck!

starvingcfi
Participant
@starvingcfi
GrayCatLove;110186 wrote:
And if I worked in India, especially in the summer, I’d wear short sleeves and omit any other clothes I could! 😉

I’m sure the boss would love that. :p

I’ve been set on the Sox tattoo for years now, however it’s not something that I have felt I have to have. If I’m going to get something (which I’ve wanted for 13 years now) I figure that may as well be it. The negative thing makes it much cooler to me.

I’ll definitely take the time to discuss my options with the artist. I’ve seen how they place the stencil on Miami Ink. Can they do that for a blackout?

Disregard any improper terminology. I clearly know nothing about this stuff aside from what I see on TV.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Whatever you do, please don’t ‘black out’ anything. That would look hideous :S

Crackbaby
Participant
@crackbaby

I’ve seen tons of logo tats, not really a fan of em and don’t know many artists that like doing them verbatim. You may consider asking your artist to simply draw you a redsox related piece and bring them some random clip art from the team’s advertisements. Or even a favorite playerthat’s wearing the logo. PS I’m with Arni on the blackout thing. It lowers your options design wise and it also is harder to add to it for your 1/4 sleeve

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.