puzzled1
Participant
@puzzled1

Why would I be any different than anyone else here – I’ve got a sleeve on the left and half a sleeve on the right and so of course I want more!

I’m thinking ahead…to the winter which is my preferred time to be tattooed. I’d like to add a small wrist piece to the right arm that has only half a sleeve. I’m thinking of only using like 1/4 of my forearm for this piece.

One question I have is: how do you think you would look to have the half sleeve, from shoulder to elbow, and then space with no ink and then down by the wrist a small design? Do you think it can work or might that look too broken up? (I have considered doing a full sleeve on the right but am not so fond of the half sleeve and so wouldn’t want to continue with that design down the rest of the arm. Of course, I think adding a totally different design for the other half of the arm would really look bad – don’t you?)

My other question is about the choice of pattern for the wrist piece. At first I was really keen on getting this Polynesian artist, Tautu, who usually comes to the Tattoo Convention here in Vancouver, to do the piece at the 2012 convention. But from reading various posts here on the forum I get the impression that it is felt inappropriate to get a Polynesian tattoo if one is not from that culture.

So, now I wonder if there is a style that is all pattern, no picture, that I could use for a modest wrist piece instead of a traditional Polynesian design?

l

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I think starting a new design for the lower part of your arm wouldn’t actually be bad. Upload some pictures on to the thread so we can have a proper look. Loads of people have loads of tattoo’s crammed in one arm that have nothing to do with each other which is what im doing on my left arm. doesn’t look amazing when there’s still spaces but when it’s covered and you get a bit of a background going on it look’s cool. I personally think you should get a full sleeve as it would look best and full sleeves are fucking awesome.:D

albert1500
Participant
@albert1500

i currently have about a 3/4 sleeve on the left and will be doing a wrist tattoo that will actually almost touch the rest of the sleeve, so i’m thinking i’m probably just going to go full sleeve, i would just need to decide what to get on the outside of the rest of the open area.

by the way my ink has been done in different parts but i dont think it looks bad. its all about my life anyway.

i think as long as it flows together it will look good.

puzzled1
Participant
@puzzled1

Thanks for your comments guys.:)

Albert I really like your sleeve. It is neat to see the photos showing how it developed. The design looks original and creative.

BTW, I was going to place some votes on your photos but still am not sure how that’s done. 😮

ArniVidar
@arnividar
puzzled1;91298 wrote:
BTW, I was going to place some votes on your photos but still am not sure how that’s done. 😮

Just click the appropriate number (1-10) below the picture, to vote.

I would wait a bit with the wrist piece, until you’ve figured out whether or not you want to fix/cover/update your right sleeve. Perhaps if you took your sleeve to someone like Tim Pangburn, he might enjoy covering it up with a similar (but better) design, and he would almost certainly want to go further down to help his own piece flow and cover better. Getting something down below now might actually hurt your chances for a cover-up.

puzzled1
Participant
@puzzled1
ArniVidar;91309 wrote:
Just click the appropriate number (1-10) below the picture, to vote.

I would wait a bit with the wrist piece, until you’ve figured out whether or not you want to fix/cover/update your right sleeve. Perhaps if you took your sleeve to someone like Tim Pangburn, he might enjoy covering it up with a similar (but better) design, and he would almost certainly want to go further down to help his own piece flow and cover better. Getting something down below now might actually hurt your chances for a cover-up.

ah, so simple…to vote .. thanks.:p

Arni, that’s a really good point about waiting a bit until I’ve decided about the half sleeve. At first I didn’t think anyone could or would want to do much with the existing ink but now I am discovering that there are artists, like Tim and some closer to home, that actually enjoy the challenge or coverups and reinking. It would be great to get the old piece improved and I’d have no problem extending it to add to the flow, in fact that would probably be an better way to use that skin real estate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.