gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Alright. So I’ve had pretty solid plans for my second tattoo for some time now, and the only thing that is hanging me up is the area I would like it in.

I want it on my thigh. My upper outer thigh, possibly wrapping around towards my inner thigh.
I just worry about it aging. I’m young and I’m in shape now, but how awful will the tattoo look when I’ve had a kid or two (maybe) and maybe have a little chunk to me?

I’m stopping by the shop one of these days for a bit of a touch up, and plan on talking to my artist about the viability of the area, and how he’s seen them hold up or not.

Just curious of the thoughts of the board members on this one.

ljfran2383
Participant
@ljfran2383

just stay in shape. its not hard.

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

I use my rib-piece as motivation to never get fat 😀

I’ve no idea on how viable this area is for longevity…
But from what I’ve heard: distortion of a tattoo is only really bad when the stretching/shrinking of the skin is fairly rapid.
I’m sure touch-ups could re-work it if you do indeed gain some pudge.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly
ljfran2383;71224 wrote:
just stay in shape. its not hard.

That’s my plan. I like to stay active, so I don’t think that will be difficult.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey Gnarly 🙂

replying as, I think, the only girl so far…I wouldnt get it. Even if you do stay in shape, which I’m sure you’re capable of, I don’t think the area is one that ages well for girls. Considering the area is prone to cellulite towards the back and sometimes on the inner thigh ,you’d want to be careful with the placement. I don’t think it’s an area of the body that ages well, especially considering that not matter how toned you are there is generally some fat on the inside, which will in most cases increase as your metabolism slows down *ducks pending retorts from body experts*

I think it could be done but I think you’d need to be careful.

But then, this is from the person who wouldnt risk getting one anywhere but places that have pretty much no fat, and also pretty tiny (I dont know if you saw my ink in the end) I’m not as adventurous as you, and it could turn out fine 🙂 I’m just giving the devil’s advocte, worry wart side 🙂

What are you thinking of having done anyway?

Poesy

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly
Poesy;71245 wrote:
Hey Gnarly 🙂

replying as, I think, the only girl so far…I wouldnt get it. Even if you do stay in shape, which I’m sure you’re capable of, I don’t think the area is one that ages well for girls. Considering the area is prone to cellulite towards the back and sometimes on the inner thigh ,you’d want to be careful with the placement. I don’t think it’s an area of the body that ages well, especially considering that not matter how toned you are there is generally some fat on the inside, which will in most cases increase as your metabolism slows down *ducks pending retorts from body experts*

I think it could be done but I think you’d need to be careful.

But then, this is from the person who wouldnt risk getting one anywhere but places that have pretty much no fat, and also pretty tiny (I dont know if you saw my ink in the end) I’m not as adventurous as you, and it could turn out fine 🙂 I’m just giving the devil’s advocte, worry wart side 🙂

What are you thinking of having done anyway?

Poesy

This has been my concern. At least you’ve reassured me I’m not crazy for thinking that.

I’m going for a piece from The Nightengale and the Rose, my favorite childrens’ story. It would be a nightengale entangled in the vines and thorns of some roses, and some pearls and pomegranates. Possibly a few more things from the story. I’d like it to take up a good portion of my upper leg.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
gnarly;71249 wrote:
This has been my concern. At least you’ve reassured me I’m not crazy for thinking that.

I’m going for a piece from The Nightengale and the Rose, my favorite childrens’ story. It would be a nightengale entangled in the vines and thorns of some roses, and some pearls and pomegranates. Possibly a few more things from the story. I’d like it to take up a good portion of my upper leg.

Hi Gnarly, Totally off topic but what is your real first name? I think it’s Charlie, because that’s a cool name for a girl.

On topic:

There are a couple of ways to look at this. Being the aggressive over thinker that I am I’ve got some perspective to give you that may or may not help. When I was younger, up to say 29 I could eat whatever shit I wanted, exercise every day or not for a month and my weight would be the same within 5 pounds with out fail. I never broke 130 until my 31st birthday. I’m now 33 and I’m 142. I exercise 4 times a week, I eat very healthy but that 12 pounds won’t come off unless I literally starve myself. Why does this matter to you? Well, it shows you that your body can and will change and even if you are healthy you may have a layer of fat there anyway. You should look at your family, esp your mom if you can. Where she holds her weight will more than likely be where you hold yours.

I personally refuse to get a tattoo on my belly or my ribs for this reason. I’m going to stick to my arms, chest, back and possibly legs.

THAT SAID….

I think you should steam ahead and do it. Your tattoo is with you on the story of your life. It will look beautiful when you get it done and it will age with you. I don’t think it will get distorted unless you gain weight really fast so the shape and beauty of the tat will remain. If you have kids you can tell them the story about how you got it, what it means and maybe throw something in about that incredibly long winded but nice and amazingly good looking Gsouder guy that helped you decide : ) I don’t think you should let a small layer of possible fat in the future get in the way of a piece of art you are thinking about getting today.

Just my .02…

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Thanks for the input & my first name is Katrina. I think Charlie is a bit cooler though.

I’m going to go for it. I’ve been thinking about it for quite a while now, and I really love the idea of it.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy
gnarly;71249 wrote:

Oscar Wilde LOVE! That’s an awesome story. Definitely a good one to for!! Just out of interest have you read his other children’s stories?

Just as a design idea – I’d add a ruby. (That is what the other suitor gives the girl isn’t it?) I always associated that with the nightingale’s blood

Poesy

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I like the idea of adding jewels. These are the lines from the story, I looked it over because I could have sworn her suitor brought her emeralds, but it’s actually very non-specific.

“I am afraid it will not go with my dress,” she answered; “and,
besides, the Chamberlain’s nephew has sent me some real jewels, and
everybody knows that jewels cost far more than flowers.”

I’ve read a few other childrens’ stories. Do you have a favorite?

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I’m digging up this thread because I’ve finally made an appointment for this tattoo.
I’ll be starting it on the 16th of next month.

YAY. 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.