UK Carl
Participant
@uk-carl

With my Full Right Arm sleeve progressing nicely, I was wondering what people thought on having the Tattooists ‘Signature’ inked at some point in the design?

I have the privelige of wearing the piece, so, like an Artist, I’d like the Tattooist to Sign off on the piece…..

What do people think on the idea?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, if you buy a painting and hang it on the wall, the artist will usually always have signed it. They claim this right, to own the piece they’ve made. I don’t see anything in that signature to detract from the painting, unless of course the painting is shit… then I know that paintings by the same are probably shit too 😀

I can’t see why it would be any different, really, with a work of art on human canvas. Would it detract from the design? Not at all. But is is you that’s wanting his signature on yourself, or is he asking to include his name on his art?

UK Carl
Participant
@uk-carl
ArniVidar;71051 wrote:
Well, if you buy a painting and hang it on the wall, the artist will usually always have signed it. They claim this right, to own the piece they’ve made. I don’t see anything in that signature to detract from the painting, unless of course the painting is shit… then I know that paintings by the same are probably shit too 😀

I can’t see why it would be any different, really, with a work of art on human canvas. Would it detract from the design? Not at all. But is is you that’s wanting his signature on yourself, or is he asking to include his name on his art?

Thanks for the input Arni,

It’s something I came up with whilst a bit drunk last night, and thought it’d be a nice finishing touch to the sleeve. My tattooist hasnt mentioned anything, and I’ve not seen any of his larger pieces, back/legs/ sleeve etc, with his signature on….

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

My tattoo artist refuses to sign his tattoos because he thinks it detracts from the tattoo. Its not a big deal, because when people ask who did it, i can just tell them.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

i don’t think a signature is necessary since the tattoo is with you full time and you can just say who the artist is.
paintings get signed because at some point they may be sold or pass down to someone else and there is a signature to identify the work.

ljfran2383
Participant
@ljfran2383

i have never seen a sig. on a tattoo. i feel the person own the tattoo, not the artist. anyone will tell you who did their tats if you ask them anyways.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

a lot of traditional japanese artists “stamp” their signature in all the time. horiyoshi III does it a lot, so does shige and hori yen.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.