Ceirdwyn
Participant
@ceirdwyn

I have designed a Celtic knot wolf. I’m hoping that it will be my first tattoo. Do you think it would work as a tattoo, and where do you think it would look good? I’m really not sure on placement :confused:

I know the lines aren’t perfect, I’m hopeful the tattoo artist will be able to make it all even.:o

Any feedback gratefully received.

vizzielover
Participant
@vizzielover

I think it is an excellent design, might need tweaking a bit around the nose area but i have to say you are very talented. I think you place that design almost anywhere, personally I would go for upper arm though.

Ceirdwyn
Participant
@ceirdwyn

Awwwwwww, thanks vizzielover 😮 I love Celtic art work, and try to put a slightly different twist on it. I know what you mean about the nose though, I really had problems with that bit. :rolleyes:
I thought about having it on my upper arm, but I wouldn’t want it too small, so I was thinking of my shoulder. I’m going to put the design on the wall for a couple of months, and if I still love it, I’ll book in to have it done for my birthday at the end of August.:D
Has anybody any recommendations of artists who are good at that Celtic type work? I live on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border, but would travel to get it done right.
Thanks

Crypto
Participant
@crypto

its a real nc design!i would love to see the end result if u get it tattooed.the artist will make the lines perfect.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i think the design is nice but i had to look at it twice to see it was a wolf .
i would have the ears and mouth a little more pronounced

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

First off i really like the idea and think it would make an excellent tattoo.
You also show a lot of skill as an artist and should keep up with that.

This part is constructive criticism – I saying it as I want you to get the best from your ink.

Looking at that design treat it as the first draft template. You aim for 2-3 more refined drawings before passing to your artist for the final piece.

The key part is that celtic knotswork is a very busy tattoo so the eye is drawn all over the place trying to define the shape.

With this in mind you need to rework the knots so that the ears, muzzle and head of the wolf are much more pronounced.

The head should be forming from the combination sum of the knots not getting lost in the knotwork itself.

This is not the best example but I am in a rush as heading to work

http://www.realmcollections.com/images/p/Earrings_Sterling_Silver_Celtic_Knot__3170_228.jpg

Obviously this is jewellery and not the best example of a wolfhead but as you can see the head is the dominant piece from the knotwork.

What I am suggesting is that instead of a solid head use the knotwork lines but have it standing out more from the body.

I hope that helps.

Take Care
Matthew

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
Butterfly;67233 wrote:
i think the design is nice but i had to look at it twice to see it was a wolf .
i would have the ears and mouth a little more pronounced

I agree. I think these hybrid ideas are really cool but it takes a pretty amazing concept to make it work. It needs to be much more clear that it’s a wolf or else you going to be one of those people with tats where the conversation goes like this:

“wow, nice tat! I love celtic work in tattoos, did you design it your self?”
“hey thanks! yeah, I designed it my self. I drew it up and put it on this cool site and it was a hit”
“cool!”
“…. it’s a wolf too.”
“huh?”
“my Tattoo, it’s a wolf.”
“…what do you mean? it’s a celtic knot.”
“no, look, here’s the snout, here’s the eye….”
“…oh…. yeah…. I guess, if you say so…..”
“no, wait, look, it’s in profile, howling… see?”
“…. um… yes, I… I think I see it. That’s… cool.”
“can I have your number, maybe we could go out sometime”
“um, I have to wash my hair.”
“I haven’t said any days or times”
“I wash my hair a lot. Bye!”
“But….wait…..”

Ceirdwyn
Participant
@ceirdwyn

Thanks guys, I do take the comments in the spirit they were offered:). I’ll try to re-draw it with the muzzle and ear more obvious.
I think my hubby would get a bit miffed if I was chatting up people at tat conventions though, so at least that’s not a worry:D

Back to the drawing pad;)

Ceirdwyn
Participant
@ceirdwyn

Okay, not as neat as the first one, I’ve just sketched it, but what do you all think, more wolf-like?

I used this pic as a reference
http://www.top-dogs-names.com/images/wolf-howl.jpg

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Now that is what I was talking about! That will work so much better as a tattoo.
The artist can always add more knots but that to me would make a superb piece.

As a reference point the tattoo artist (choose a good one) will be able to turn that into a fantastic piece of ink.

Take Care
Matthew

TATZ
Participant
@tatz

you have a really nice wolf there. Celtic stuff always makes for decent tattoos imho.
But it looks kind of like Amarok – an audio player for Linux.
amarok_logo.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.