m3t4lh3ad
    Participant
    @m3t4lh3ad

Hey everyone, fairly new poster looking for some advice. The forum’s helped me with decisions in the past and I’m after some design-related help again if anyone could give me a hand.

Basically, I’ve had an idea for a while but never been able to translate it properly into an image. I’ve had the idea for about a year but struggled to find a physical representation.

The idea I have for now is a quote ‘it’s not the years in your life, it’s the life in your years’. The closest I’ve come so far is a sand timer with the quote as part of the sand falling, but I’m not sure about it and any ideas are more than welcome. The reasoning behind the idea (if it helps anyone come up with ideas) is that although I’m fairly young I’ve fought my way through extremely tough situations in the last few years and I’m now more sensible/wise for it.

It will be to go as part of a 3/4 or full sleeve that I’ll be starting in a few months. I’m trying to put bigger key elements together now to start working it out in my head and then I’ll do some really basic sketching.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help, and if I can provide any more info just ask.

Cheers

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Be sure to get a really good (great actually) artist. They’ll help you with the design and hopefully come up with a piece unique for your body.

Good luck, post some pictures.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Don’t put to much thought in it. It is just a tattoo. Fuck LA ink for making everyone think they need some huge story about their tattoo.
    As Sam said find a GREAT tattooist and work with them on the design of it.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Either get crazy abstract in your own thinking or let it go and just get a fun tattoo.

m3t4lh3ad
    Participant
    @m3t4lh3ad

I don’t want to put a massive story behind it or anything, I’m just struggling with a way to turn the idea into an image.

The artists who’ve done work for me so far (half sleeve, chest piece, calf and rib cage) are great once they have an image they do great but I’ve never asked about turning a quote into an image. I’m just looking for a few ideas to experiment with for now. I’m in to finish my chest in a few weeks so just wanted some ideas to take in and suggest to them and work from there.

Appreciate everyone’s help, maybe it is just best to work with them from scratch on it. Once I get started or get a sketch I’ll post and show everyone where i end up.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@GrayCatLove 136515 wrote:

Either get crazy abstract

The abstract tattoos I’ve seen really have me thinking. I still have my left leg and chest unplanned at this point.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

The idea of the hourglass with the quote really just made me think of the soapopera “days of our lives”. Which I’m sure isn’t the idea you were going for! :p

I have a couple very meaningful tattoos, one that directly symbolize the change I went through due to a shitload of crap, and it wasn’t easy to come up with. Often the most obvious images won’t be any good, because then you’ll just be another miami ink idiot. I wanted the tattoo for a few years until I actually got it, because that’s when the idea came to me, and it was awesome and perfect and I knew it the minute I thought of it, and it’s utterly original and mine. So I guess what my advice is; Don’t over think it. Wait until you find something that is just right, for just you. An owl is a symbol of wisdom, a lion of strength, a phoenix of rising again, hell, jesus for resurrection. There are so many options and you can do whatever you want and give it the meaning you want. Just because you’ve come a long way doesn’t mean your path is finished, you may have yet to discover something that really symbolizes what it all meant to you. Don’t stress it, you don’t HAVE to get it done right away or plan it out perfectly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.